I know you think you know all about commas, but I think I'll just remind you of the five basic rules to the comma.
Rule #1:
If you are combining two complete thoughts then you MUST use a conjunction right after a comma. Here are some examples: My mother loves chocolate, so I love chocolate. People always say I’m weird, but my friends say I’m unique.
Rule #2:
Always use a comma after introductory material. Here are some examples: Well, that was fun. Dude, please tell me we won’t be doing that again.
Rule #3:
Use commas to offset interrupters. Here are two examples: My sister, who is younger than me, is very lucky. People, mostly my peers, say I’m smart.
Rule #4:
One should use commas to separate items in a series. Here are two examples: I like to read, eat, and be on time. Sally enjoys talking, singing, and wasting time.
Rule #5:
When using direct quotations one should use the comma to separate who's saying the text and the text its self. Here are some examples: She said, “The world must be round.” “Time,” she answered, “is measured in intervals.”
There you have it; five comma rules in one blog. Remember them and there is quite possibility that your English teacher will think you’re the smartest person in their class.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment